Images from the Ranch

Images from the Ranch

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ahh, Summertime!!

         I love summertime.  I love the possibilities that summer holds & I love the memories of summers from my childhood. I love the idea of lazy summer days, and I love the reality of how crazy busy summer actually is. I love summer road trips & 4-H projects & county fair.  I love fresh cut grass & the Buffalo town pool (when it’s open).  I love camping & cookouts & campfires.  I love spending time on the lake with my family, a fishing pole and a good book.  I love summer food: hot dogs & hamburgers, potato salad & pasta salad, watermelon & popsicles & smores.  I love warm days & cool nights but I hate the heat, therefore June is my favorite month in the summer   
 Hannah, Kade & I have already enjoyed one of these favorites of summertime when we took a road trip to Helena MT last weekend to meet my best friend, Erika, and her kids, Julia & Logan.  Erika lives in Ohio and her nephew was graduating from Helena High School, so I decided that since we were actually in the same time zone I would make the 7-hour drive to see her.  What a wonderful time I had with this precious friend and her family!  We stayed up late talking (ok, so we only stayed up until 11:00 pm, but for those of you who know me well, that is late for me!), we laughed & we cried, we ate pizza at 10:30 at night. We marveled at how much our kids had grown & changed in the 2 ½ years since we had last been together.  We tried to solve all of the problems that are plaguing our lives & we failed to do so.  I suppose that we need to start planning another trip together in order to try again soon!  Best of all we were able to steal away for a few minutes and pray together, giving all of our stresses and struggles and joys to the Lord.  I tried to savor every minute that I had with Erika because I don’t know how long it’ll be before I see her again.  I don’t have a sister of my own, but God has blessed me with this sister of my spirit.  She's a fellow "Courageous Mommy" and I’d drive another 7 hours or more in order to see her again!

So now I am looking forward to whatever else this summer holds for us.  I do have to say that the snow that we had this weekend is not something that I love to see in the summer, but this is Wyoming and I have not put away our snow boots yet; I think that I'll wait until July for that!

“Rest is not idleness, and to lie sometimes on the grass on a summer day listening to the murmur of water or watching the clouds float across the sky, is hardly a waste of time.”  John Lubbock.    Have a wonderful summer everyone!!

3 comments:

  1. Jana, you are wonderful! I liked this post...I like summertime too! Like you, I have not washed and put away winter coats and boots! You never can tell in WY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are with you on the summer thing... There is nothing better than spending time with friends and family. Those nights by the campfire talking and laughing..... so much fun. Glad you had a wonderful trip. Hope you have a great summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love summer too! I am glad you found my blog, it has been fun to reconnect and I have enjoyed it!! Do you have any fun 4-H projects? I am trying to keep my kids busy and getting ready for the fair is perfect-just coming up with the ideas is a little stressing. I enjoyed your post! Lets hope the weather gets better-hail just shredded my garden-good thing its early yet.:)

    ReplyDelete